Friday, September 11, 2009

Back on the horse

Hey, school is back in session, which is immediately gratifying for me because it means more time to write. As I've said before, summer writing is tough, but I'm determined enough to get in whatever I can. I bring my notebook to the kids' swim lessons and use those 30 minutes as a high pressure deadline for plot or character background brainstorming. I always get something good out of those sessions. Waking up earlier than everybody else in the house, and often staying up later than everyone else is a standard, but particularly useful in summer depending on how long you can burn the candle at both ends.

Now that the kids are off to school it's time to slip into my routine again. Ah, the bliss. As far as reading is concerned, I'm currently devouring King Dork by Frank Portman, of Mr. T Experience fame. I'm pleased to say that I saw them play in Switzerland in the basement of the collective restaurant Hirscheneck where I worked in the late '90's. They were awesome & very sweet guys. He's making an appearance at Secret Garden Books this coming Monday: http://www.secretgardenbooks.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=storeevents&eventId=428289

Next on the reading list is Suzanne Collins'sHunger Games sequel, Catching Fire. Should be fun. Okay, back to work!

No comments: