Monday, June 29, 2009

When inpsiration strikes

So a few nights ago, after a long day with two kids, many errands, cooking and probably a few loads of laundry, I got in bed, turned out the lights, kissed my man, and said goodnight. That's it, right? For him, yeah. He was snoozin' in no time. Me? My eyes were wide open, my mind was still wide awake and not in the mood for shutting down. This was 1:30am. I'm a morning person and this does NOT happen that often, but when it happens, I have to grab the bull by the horns.
It was time to write, and being summer, the office was warm enough to do it. Give me this scene in December, and I'm reaching for the novel and booklight, so I don't freeze my bum off by exiting Duvetland. Wuss, yes, I know. That's what happens when you move from the 'Kick your ass' weather zone to the sissyfied weather zone (where I currently reside and love it, love it, love it-- I can drive an hour to the mountains if I miss the mosquitos or snow).
What I'm trying to say is, strike when the iron is hot. Get out of bed, and get writing. Especially if you have kids and a day job. Every minute counts and every word counts, so get it down, and sleep hard. Believe me, after writing through a tough chapter (even with three kid interruptions--guess I wasn't the only one that couldn't sleep) I was ready to sleep at four in the morning...all the way to eight.

1 comment:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

That's dedication and smart thinking. You will reach your goal, clearly by whatever means necessary-- even if some nights you lose a few winks. Love that Duvetland. :)